Going Back to Work
As the world goes back to work, occupational therapy practitioners are facing a new environment where cleaning, which was always an important part of their jobs, becomes even more vital. Practitioners should follow the guidelines put forth by the American Occupational Therapy Association and the CDC.
Southpaw encourages occupational therapy clinics to also consider guidance specific to COVID-19 from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), such as:
- Normal routine cleaning with soap and water will decrease how much of the virus is on surfaces and objects, which reduces the risk of exposure.
- Disinfection using EPA-approved disinfectants against COVID-19 can also help reduce the risk. Frequent disinfection of surfaces and objects touched by multiple people is important.
- When EPA-approved disinfectants against COVID-19 are not available, alternative disinfectants can be used (for example, 1/3 cup of bleach added to 1 gallon of water, or 70% alcohol solutions). Do not mix bleach or other cleaning and disinfection products together. This can cause fumes that may be very dangerous to breathe in. Bleach solutions will be effective for disinfection up to 24 hours. Keep all disinfectants out of the reach of children. Read the EPA’s infographic on how to use these disinfectant products safely and effectively.
Southpaw equipment is designed to allow occupational therapists a way to provide constant and consistent cleaning protocols.
- Some ropes on Southpaw’s new swings come with a vinyl covering that can be wiped with any prescribed disinfectant. Vinyl coverings for existing swing ropes are available for purchase to allow for the same kind of cleaning process.
- All wood-made products are triple sealed with a polyurethane clear coat that contains an anti-microbial hardener and can be cleaned by any prescribed disinfectant.
- Many products made from a composite HDPE plastic have anti-microbial properties that can be cleaned with disinfectant, but we encourage you to call customer service to ensure that your specific plastic product has the anti-microbial properties.
As more and more of our businesses reopen, cleaning protocols will become front and center to ensure that therapists and patients have a safe and clean environment for treatment.